Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Half Smile

It doesn't happen as often because I've had the grill for awhile now, but when you meet new people do you become rather self-conscious? I know as not only a girl, but a college girl who wants to come off as somewhat attractive, I sometimes act a little stand-offish because of the train tracks. For instance:

The scene: Laundry room at my apartment complex

A guy kindly opens the door for me and begins chatting me up.

Guy: Hey. Do you go to [insert name of college]?
Me: Yes, I do.
Guy: Ah. How is it over there? You having fun?
Me: It's going good. As fun as class can be [insert obnoxious girl giggle]
Guy: [basic courtesy guy laugh] Well great. What's your major?
Me: Psychology. I'll be in school forever.
Guy: Yeah, you will. Unless you just want your BA or something.
Me: Not really
Guy: Yeah, you'll be in school forever.

By this time I've already put all my clothes in the washer and I really take a look at the guy, and he does the same. Not too shabby. And then the moment... the courtesy smile, so you don't look like a creeper for looking someone up and down and basically checking out what their momma gave them, and just when I was about to do it I realized 'Ho, your teeth are bedazzled!' So, I did the half smile and ran out uttering "Nice meeting you!" Leaving behind a very confused guy.

I'm such a girl sometimes. He could have simply never noticed that they were there, but it's so much simpler to deny people before they deny you. Warped, sure. But simpler, absofreakinglutley.

1 comment:

Oldsoul_NotQuite said...

Your pic looks too cute for you to be embarassed by some metal.